Is your smile under the effects of halitosis? Bad breath, also called halitosis, is the result of a nasty or foul odor emanating from your mouth. It is often caused by poor oral hygiene but it may also be an indication of a far more serious ailment within your mouth or body. Everything from the foods you eat to bad habits such as smoking can all play an essential role in the causes of bad breath, so consider following these important guidelines:
– Medications that produce dry mouth symptoms can lead to various forms of bad breath.
– One of the easiest and quickest ways to remove most common forms of bad breath is by using mouthwash.
– If you have an underlying illness such as periodontal disease, also called gum disease, it may be causing bad breath.
– Plaque buildup that hangs around in your mouth can cause bad breath.
– Numerous diseases and illnesses cause bad breath, including respiratory tract infections and liver and kidney problems.
– Bad breath can be caused by neglected oral hygiene habits such as the forgetting to floss and brush daily.
For more information about bad breath treatments, or to schedule an oral exam with Dr. Christopher Hulen and our team at Hulen Family Dentistry, give us a call at 765-675-8745. Our dentist office is conveniently located in Tipton, Indiana. We look forward to hearing from you soon!